Watts Rail Summit
April 28 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Watts Rail Summit – Hazardous Materials in Rail Cars and a Community Conversation about Contingency Planning and Environmental Justice Concerns
Please join me a for a stakeholder meeting to address community concerns about hazardous materials transiting through the greater Watts area by rail, including but not limited to liquified petroleum gas and chlorine.
Residents have expressed concerns in the aftermath of the Ohio train derailment and have requested a stakeholder meeting to address the following questions:
- Is there a contingency plans or notifications on hazardous materials flowing through our community?
- Does DOT/Fire Department/EPA/Railroad have a working knowledge of type of chemicals or how to respond in a coordinated way to a spill of hazardous materials?
- Is there an alternative route that these hazardous materials and chemicals could take to minimize the risk to this already overburdened community?
- If no alternative route is available, what safety measures have been taken to minimize risk to residents and first responders?
- Is there a rail notification system that advises first responders when such chemicals and hazardous materials are moving on the tracks near residential areas and sensitive vectors?
The Watts Rail Summit will be in a hybrid format with a live and a virtual participation.
Join the meeting:
Join by meeting number
Meeting number (access code): 2763 003 6553
Meeting password: GBkkeHva374